Monday, November 10, 2008

Amoebaes and Gastrotrichs

Gastrotrich
Litonitus


Midge


Midge


My observation for this week was not as eventful so to speak. It appeared that many of my organisms had died and there numbers were not near as abundent as my previous observations. I was able to spot the Midge from my last observation but was unsuccessful in finding another Litonitus or the mystery ciliated organism that I observed. I did however see and identify two new organisms that I did not notice before. The first organism that I spotted was a Gastrotrich, which was a relatively fast moving organism that was difficult to maintain in focus and the field of view of the microscope. I was able to identify the organism from the book Guide to Microlife by Kenneth G. Rainis and Bruce J. Russel on page 177. The second new organism that I was able to spot and identify was a Polypodial Amoebae. The amoebae was a very slow moving organism that 'oozed' around the microaquarium, the amoebae was also hard to spot but not because of movement but because of transparency, the microscope magnification and light ammount had to be just right to get a good look. I also have pictures of the gastrotrich, the litonitus, and the midge.

No comments: